Sunday, January 10, 2016

How You Can Reach Your Resolutions Without a Clear Plan


Over Christmas break, I had the honor of helping out with our annual New Year's Sleepover.   Once a year, a bunch of our riders get together and spend the night in the barn.    The kiddos even get to ride a horse at midnight and toast to the new year!   Here are a few pictures from that night.
 

But I digress.

So, part of this tradition is for all riders, including the counselors, to sit down and create New Year's Resolutions.  They were riding related, of course. Some riders wished to work on their leg positions, or get their horse to flat walk or finally be able to trot around the ring without stopping.  Some riders had loftier goals, like buying a horse or winning at National Academy Finals.   Either way, everyone had something they wished to work on.

The second part of the task was not so easy.  Each rider, again, was asked to write down how exactly they were going to achieve this goal.   Many riders had vague responses, like "listen to my instructor more", or "ride more", or "stay positive".    

The truth is, you don't need a clear plan.   I mean, sure.  set milestones to keep you on track.   But don't try to create a set-in-stone plan for yourself.  Let the universe know what you want and do everything you can to work towards that goal.  Stop worrying about the specifics and you will be able to live in the moment, and take every opportunity that is presented to you.  Because most of the time, your dreams do not come in the way you expect.

Earlier this year, I watched a commencement speech from Jum Carrey in which he stated, "As far as I can tell, it's just about letting the universe know what you want and then working toward it while letting go of how it comes to pass."

This is so incredibly relevant to riding because sometimes we have goals and we worry every single day about how we are going to get there.  These worries are barriers and keep us from realizing that those learning moments, and there are wonderful opportunities right in front of us.   I am guilty of this, too.   I have my own goals to count (mostly I would like to do a workout without forgetting a step or almost falling off). One loftier, "sometime in the future" goal includes getting my own horse.  I've been privileged to own my own horse in the past--a wonderful Tennessee Walking Horse named Royal Editon-- and I can't wait to experience that same happiness again.   I don't see an immediate "path" to this goal, but I know what I want, and I take every opportunity to work towards that goal.   I am getting my graduate degree to make more money.  I take shifts at the barn when I can, I ride as many different horses as I can, and I take every opportunity to learn.   I may also be a member of one or more "Saddlebreds for Sale" groups, but no matter.   

You can do this too.  You can work towards your goal without having a plan clearly defined, calculated, and set in stone.   You can do this by riding new horses, asking questions, learning new skills, or catching rides on other people's horses...

And most importantly, let the universe know what you want.  Do not be afraid to say it out loud.  Shout it to the rooftops if you must.  Even if it seems too grand, too out of reach, too impossible, say it anyway.

because when we dream big, we are giving ourselves permission to be GREAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment